Children’s National Hospital
Children’s National Hospital, located in Washington, DC, is a leader in the development of innovative new treatments for childhood illness and injury. Serving the nation’s children for more than 140 years, Children’s National is the premier provider of acute pediatric care in the Washington metropolitan area.
The components of Children’s National Hospital include:
- The main hospital, known as the Sheikh Zayed Campus for Advanced Children’s Medicine features 303 beds, 54 of which are level IIIC NICU bassinets; a Level I pediatric trauma center which serves three states; and a critical care transport program via ambulance, helicopter, and fixed-wing airplane;
- Eight Regional Outpatient Centers that provide specialty care around the region, including an Ambulatory Surgery Center;
- Children’s National Specialists of Virginia, LLC, a private, physician office-based practice affiliated with Children’s National;
- A primary care program that includes health centers within the District of Columbia and owned practices throughout the metropolitan area;
- Children’s National Health Network, with 400 affiliated pediatricians;
- Children’s Research Institute which is a leader in basic and clinical research programs;
- Two large Emergency Departments, located at the main campus and on the United Medical Center campus; and
- Other subsidiaries that focus on school health services, mobile health services, community partnerships, and safety campaigns.
Children’s National’s internationally recognized team of pediatric healthcare professionals log more than 360,000 visits annually for patients who come from throughout the region, nation, and world. As one of the largest employers in the region, Children’s National has more than 6,000 employees, including 1,500 nurses and 900 physicians.
As a non-profit pediatric care provider, Children’s National has a mission to serve all children in its service area regardless of ability to pay. Children’s National is the largest provider of pediatric care in the District of Columbia.
Each year, Children’s National provides almost $50 million in uncompensated care. Children’s National trains more than 200 residents and fellows annually.
Children’s National serves as the regional referral center for pediatric emergency, trauma, cancer, cardiac and critical care as well as neonatology, orthopedic surgery, neurology, and neurosurgery. The Telemedicine Program at Children’s National provides distance learning and more than 1,000 consultations annually to regional providers, as well as international countries.
With an internationally recognized team of pediatric healthcare and research professionals, Children’s has one of the top federally funded pediatric research centers in the country. Children’s National is home to the only Clinical and Translational Science Award led by a pediatric hospital. The Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation is also housed at Children’s National.
Children’s National is consistently ranked among the best pediatric hospitals in America by U.S. News & World Report and the Leapfrog Group. Children’s National is a Magnet® designated hospital.
Families traveling more than 50 miles to Children’s National for participation in clinical trials may be eligible for free housing at Family House or Ronald McDonald House. For more information, contact the unit social worker. Other short-term housing information can be found by contacting concierge services 202-476-2220.